Liberia Stands at Risk

first_imgThe Director of Rehabilitation at the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare (MOH&SW) says that the future of Liberia is at risk if public awareness against the indiscriminate use of drugs is not given the attention it deserves.Madam Esther Grant made the statement recently at the completion of a ten-day workshop in Buchanan, Grand Bassa County.The workshop was organized by the Division of Rehabilitation of the MOH, and was intended to educate community dwellers and stakeholders on how to combat the increasing rate of drug abuse.Madam Grant noted that though the Government is making some headway in the fighting drug abuse, citizens themselves need to get involved with trying to change the minds of young people about the dangers associated with the use of drugs.“We need to advise our children to stop taking drugs, as it is not good for the body,” Madam Grant told parents at the workshop.According to Grant, since young people’s brains continue to develop until they turn 18, they are more vulnerable to the harmful effects of drug abuse. Less experience using a drug means that a person is less likely to develop a tolerance for it.She said that no country in the world can achieve its developmental goals if its people are not taught all that they should know about an epidemic.Director Grant further explained that youths and adults constitute over 68 percent of Liberia’s population, requiring a vigorous approach in advising them against drug abuse.A participant lauded the facilitators and the MOH&SW for the opportunity to learn about the effects of illicit drugs.Moses Tarpeh, 25, said that he will use the knowledge he acquired to advise his friends to desist from taking drugs, as they are not good for the body.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

No word on salaries for Region 3 guards

first_imgSugar workers, who lost their jobs and gained employment as guards in West Demerara, are among several persons who have still not been paid their salaries in the last two months.According to information obtained on Saturday, the workers were not paid despite some being reportedly told that they would be paid by Friday.However, when time came, they said their supervisor has not given them any positive word, leaving them to wonder when they will be able to receive their salaries. This month means workers would be entering their third month without being paid.The guards are employed with a security company that provides guard services to schools and medical facilities in Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara). Guyana Times first made enquires on Wednesday and the guard service said it was up to the Region Three administration to effect payments.Region Three Regional Executive Officer (REO) Denis Jaikarran however gave all assurances that the region is currently in the process of resolving the issue. To this end, he had related that the region was in discussions with the Finance Ministry.“It is not a shortage of money but there were some difficulties and challenges we faced in terms of the releases… that matter is going to be resolved in quick time,” Jaikarran told this newspaper on Wednesday last.This publication spoke with two male former sugar workers who said that they were struggling to make ends meet and that the non-payments was having a significant strain on their families. They observed that they were better off when they worked with Wales Estate.“They taking too long to pay we and they not keeping any meeting to tell we why them an paying we…it hard,” a father of two told Guyana Times last week.Many of the guards were former Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) employees who were experiencing great difficulty finding work after the State-owned entity ceased operations in December 2016.“They taking too long to pay we and they not keeping any meeting to tell we why them an paying we… it hard,” the younger guard related, noting that he has a 10-year-old who is attending school.last_img read more

Global Tours launches vacation packages for Guyanese

first_imgGuyanese will no longer have to dream about having once-in-a-lifetime adventures around the world since Global Tours and Travel Company (GlobalTT) will now be offering these types of experiences worldwide at discounted prices.GlobalTT Cruise ShipThe company has partnered with several major airlines, cruise lines, car rental companies, top hotel brands and chains, destination service providers, vacation rental properties, and other travel product and service companies to offer all-inclusive vacations and packaged holidays to the people of Guyana.According to a statement on Friday, GlobalTT said that their consultants will be planning and sorting accommodations, airport shuttles and other ground transport and flights, so that their customers will not have to worry about these little details but to just focus on their vacation ahead.GlobalTT will also be offering destinations that are sometimes overlooked by many Guyanese travellers and those familiar hotspots, offering new reasons to return.According to the company, it will be catering for all budgets with their vacation packages. Some of their tours include places such as Havana, Varadero, and Holguín along with the more than 60 other destinations in Cuba available to be explored by the clients of GlobalTT. Jamaica and Panama were also indicated.In its North American Division, GlobalTT is expected to offer special packaged tours to Miami, New York City, Washington, and Toronto— the capital of Ontario.For cruisers and would-be cruisers, as a travel partner of the well-known Carnival Cruise Line, Guyanese will have the opportunity to set sail for less on their vacations with Carnival’s outstanding roster of cruise vacations.Meanwhile, in 2020, the company announced that they will be offering special tours to attractive sites in Dubai and China which they call the ‘Taste of China’ tour.last_img read more

Neil Evans selected to take part in Fort St. John torch celebrations for Canada Winter games

first_imgEvans is well known in the sporting community in Fort St. John for his efforts with the Fort St. John Rec Hockey League and the Crystal Cup. He said the nomination and selection came as a shock considering he had initially nominated a friend of his to participate.“It came on as a shock. They called out for nominations a couple of months ago and I nominated a friend of mine that I work with. I received an email several weeks back that actually I was one of the nominees. The ball started rolling there and I signed all of the agreements and now I’m a torchbearer for the 2015 Canada Winter Games,” he explained.It’s a flattering feeling for Evans to be chosen given that there are other people who contribute to the various winter sports within the Energetic City.- Advertisement -“It was really overwhelming to know that someone thought of me for this position. I also thought there’s a lot more people that would be excellent candidates. You look at Fort St. John and how giving of a community it is. Lots of people are really passionate about winter sports. It’s truly an honour and I was quite shocked that I was chosen,” he said.The 2015 Canada Games Torch Relay in Fort St. John will be held in November, however an exact date is currently unavailable. The Regional Community Torch Celebration will be held at the Pomeroy Sport Centre, and there will be various activities for people of all ages.last_img read more

MCCARRON STARS FOR IRISH SCHOOLBOYS SIDE IN VICTORY OVER NORTHERN IRELAND

first_imgLee McCarron starred for the Republic of Ireland schoolboys side in their 3-2 win over Northern Ireland.Finn Harps keeper Lee McCarron pulled off some crucial saves to ensure the Republic of Ireland schools side got a St Patrick’s Day win over neighbours Northern Ireland this afternoon.McCarron played the entire match and produced some top-class stops as Ireland earned a vital victory in the International series.The game was played in perfect conditions on a fantastic playing surface at Ferney Park home of Northern Ireland Premiership side Ballinamallard United. The Republic of Ireland schoolboys side had a strong Donegal and Finn Harps connection within its squad.Finn Harps manager Ollie Horgan is the assistant manger while Harps coach Willie O’Connor is also on the backroom team while Mickey McGlynn is the team physio.Ireland raced into a two-goal half-time lead thanks to goals from Aaron Robinson and Conor Ellis.Northern Ireland hit back early in the second-half before Ellis got his second and Ireland’s third. Northern Ireland scored from the penalty spot late on but Ireland held on for a crucial win.They now face Wales in their next match in the competition.  MCCARRON STARS FOR IRISH SCHOOLBOYS SIDE IN VICTORY OVER NORTHERN IRELAND was last modified: March 17th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:InternationalsLee McCarronnewsNOrthern IrelandRepublic of IrelandsoccerSportlast_img read more

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ARMY BACK-UP TO DEAL WITH TRAVELERS

first_imgA local councillor has said people are relived after a group of travelers left Ballybofey after setting up illegally in the town.The group set up home in the grounds of Supervalu in Ballybofey.And local Councillor Patrick McGowan said he believes the full reserves of the gardai and army should be used to move on such large groups.“I believe the army should be available to back up the over-stretched Gardai especially in cases such as happened in Donegal town, Ballybofey and Convoy recently . “Local gardai could be putting themselves in danger if there is  insufficient gardai available at anyone time to deal with routine policing and at the same time trying to manage situations such as we have experienced this last while when a large contingent of travelers arrived in town.“It is not on when this group arrived they were parking illegally without having made any prior arrangements to locate a suitable site,” he said.The Fianna Fail councillor said local residents and businesses were clearly worried and requested more Gardai to be present.“I believe businesses are paying enough taxes and rates with out having to pay for private security as well,” he added. COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ARMY BACK-UP TO DEAL WITH TRAVELERS was last modified: August 4th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ArmyGardaiILLEGAL PARKINGTRAVELERSlast_img read more

DDTV: INCREDIBLE FOOTGAGE OF DONEGAL MAN’S BRAVE RESCUE OF SHIPMATE FROM PACIFIC OCEAN

first_imgA DONEGAL man is being hailed a hero after rescuing a shipmate who fell overboard.Buncrana man Sean McCarter came to the rescue when a colleague on board the Derry round-the-world clipper ship fell into the sea.Andrew Taylor (46) from London was rescued from the Pacific Ocean.The incident happened in rough weather with 35 knots of wind and clear visibility in daylight. Skipper Sean (32) reported that he was working with Andrew on a sail change near the bow when he went over the side. Sean immediately went back to the helm, stopped the yacht and initiated the MOB (man overboard) procedure.Said Sean, former RNLI volunteer: “The moment he went out of sight the Pacific all of a sudden becomes a very big place.“We had our man overboard position marked on the chart which gives us a point to start searching from and we start going through the motions, trying to estimate where he might have drifted to with the wind and current.“We started searching but I mean a needle in a haystack doesn’t even describe what we were looking for.”He said his team mate would have been unconscious and possibly dead if he had not been wearing a dry suit.Click the video to watch DDTV: INCREDIBLE FOOTGAGE OF DONEGAL MAN’S BRAVE RESCUE OF SHIPMATE FROM PACIFIC OCEAN was last modified: April 8th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranaheriheropacificrescueround the world clippersean mccarterlast_img read more

Kefa Kisala is new BUL FC coach

first_imgBy Nelson SsenggobaThe roll-call of off-season movers in local football is a register of the serially restless. In the coaches’ column it usually starts with A for Anyau, B for Basena… and K for Kisala.So, once again, former URA coach Kefa Kisala has been appointed as new BUL FC coach on a two-year contract.The former Uganda Cranes assistant coach has been out of service since his acrimonious departure from URA last season. He returns at the Jinja-based side for the second stint to replace fellow constant mover, Frank ‘Video’ Anyau.Commentslast_img read more